WordPress posts use categories to group related posts together, this will help you to organize content into different topics. As a default our website will have the News / Blog category, but you can create more categories if needed.
Adding a New Category
To add a new category you have two options:
Add Categories from the Categories Module
(This is on the right side of the page when adding/editing a post.)
- Click on +Add New Category link.
- Enter a name for your category, (In this case we are using Events) and press Enter in your keyboard.
- You can also select a parent Category from the drop down menu to nest a category within another category.
Add Categories from Post Menu
- You can also add new categories and manage existing ones from Post > Categories in your website admin menu.
- The categories screen will open, here you can add a new category by filling out the fields:
– Category Name – Give a name to your category.
– Category Parent – If you want to nest a category within a category, select the parent category. Otherwise leave at None.
– Description (optional) – Describe what the category is for.